In my work as a public health nurse, I have had many requests for disinfectant sanitizer products. One of the most common questions I receive is, if the sanitizer would be appropriate for use in a home environment. The answer to this question is “it depends”. Depending on what type of bacteria you are dealing with and how contaminated the area is, this answer can vary. For example, if you are dealing with a medical lab, then yes, disinfectant sanitizer would likely be appropriate. However, if you were to be working in a food service facility, or public restroom, then I would not advise purchasing such a product.Browse this site listing about disinfectant sanitizer.
There are some sanitizers that contain chlorine bleach. Although chlorine bleach is great at killing germs, it also includes the risk of creating a chemical reaction with the fats and proteins in the infected person’s muscles and hair. Although this may sound far fetched, it has been known to occur in people who have survived a major flu pandemic, and has been the cause of serious muscle and joint pain among elderly victims of a severe chlorine bleach chemical spill at one of our local airports.
The bottom line is that there is no universal sanitizer product. Each has its own benefits and risks. For disinfectant, we strongly recommend investing in a good brand such as Ecover. Ecover’s disinfectant sanitizer product line includes everything from fingers to goggles, so if you are thinking about buying one, you’ll be covered.